Update and Jailbreak iPhone 3G and iTouch 2G 4.2.1 using the latest redsn0wThis TUT is for iPhone 3G and iTouch 2G users who wants to update to 4.2.1 firmware and jailbreak untethered. The difference with this TUT from the one that I made a month ago is that you will be using the latest redsn0w in jailbreaking your device. The latest redsn0w is faster and safer in jailbreaking compared to earlier versions, however I haven't tested the automatic, mode only manual on older devices.iOS Firmware 4.2.1 is the last firmware released by Apple for iPhone 3G and iTouch 2G. Unfortunately the multitasking and Homescreen Wallpaper features are still disabled due to hardware limitations. Although, jailbreaking enables it, personally I don't recommend enabling it because it will slow your device's overall performance. Gumawa rin ako ng TUT on how to make your older devices faster on 4.2.1 with some tweaks. Links are at the very bottom.Requirements
- iPhone 3G or iTouch 2G
- 4.2.1 Stock IPSW (For Manual Jailbreak Option B)
- latest redsn0w
- Internet Connection
- Windows XP/Vista/7 32-BitPlease backup and sync your device to iTunes or you'll loose everything.Disclaimer: I am not in anyway responsible for anything that will happen to your device or be held liable for any lost of files and personal data. Your device is your sole responsibility, and it is by your own will that you chose to jailbreak it.Note: screenshot below might show an older version of redsn0w however interface is just the same with the latest one.Update Instructions
1. Download 4.2.1 Stock IPSW from the link below, make sure to choose the correct IPSW for your device.
2. Connect your device to the computer and open iTunes.
3. Click your device and go to the summary tab.
the SHIFT KEY
on your keyboard and click RESTORE
5. Look for the stock 4.2.1 IPSW file that you downloaded and open it.
6. Wait for iTunes to finish the update process.JailbreakingOption A (Automatic)
Automatic jailbreak is process wherein, redsn0w will detect the firmware of your device and download the necessary files to jailbreak it without the need of the large stock IPSW file.
Note: Please provide a feedback if the automatic method works or not because I haven't tested this method on older devices only newer ones, and for me to remove option A from this post.
1. Connect your device to the computer and make sure that you are connected to the internet.
2. Download redsn0w 0.9.14.b2 from the link below.
3. Click JAILBREAK
4. Follow DFU instructions
5. Possible Error: redsn0w identified that you are using an older device and it is unsupported, if none proceed with the next step, otherwise go to Option B
for the manual jailbreak.
6. Wait for redsn0w to verify, download and run the exploit on your device. You device will reboot once and wait for the ramdisk to finish
7. Check the following boxes shown on the screenshot below. iTouch 2G users you won't see the ipad baseband. It is your choice to enable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper, but, just like I said, it will affect the overall performance of your device. It will slow down your iphone and itouch.
8. For 3G users it is required to install the iPad baseband for your device to be unlocked using ultrasn0w. Click YES
on the pop-up windows.
9. Click NEXT
10. Wait for the jailbreak process finish.
11. Congratulations! Your device is already jailbroken!Option B (Manual Jailbreak)
Manual jailbreaks works like a regular redsn0w jailbreak process. It involves downloading the large stock IPSW file from apple.
1. Connect your device to the computer.
2. Open and run redsn0w as an administrator
3. Click EXTRAS
4. Click SELECT IPSW
5. Browse and look for the 4.2.1 Stock IPSW that you downloaded.
6. Click OK
at the verification
7. Click BACK
8. click JAILBREAK
and wait for redsn0w while it prepares the jailbreak data.
9 . Check the following boxes shown on the screenshot below. iTouch 2G users you won't see the ipad baseband. It is your choice to enable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper, but, just like I said, it will affect the overall performance of your device. It will slow down your iphone and itouch.
10. For 3G users it is required to install the iPad baseband for your device to be unlocked using ultrasn0w. Click YES
on the pop-up windows.
11. Click NEXT
12. Follow the DFU instructions.
13. Wait for the jailbreak process finish.
14. Congratulations! Your device is already jailbroken!Unlocking your iPhone 3G
1. Connect your iphone to a reliable WiFi connection.
2. Open cydia and upgrade essentials.
3. Reboot if prompted
4. Open cydia and go to Manage >>> Sources
5. Open repo666.ultrasn0w.com
6. Choose ultrasn0w and install it
7. Reboot if prompted otherwise power off your iphone.
8. Insert your SIM and power on your iphone.
9. Congratulations, your iphone is already unlocked.
I hope that helps...
Don't forget to hit the thank you button!